Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The Quiet Book

If you remember from my post, Sewing 101, I have very little sewing experience.  For my birthday and Mother's Day combined - Jeremy got me a sewing machine.  It is pretty advanced... all the more reason to dive right in with a project. 

We plan to take a road trip/vacation this summer and so Jeremy doesn't either (a) leave us at a rest stop or (b) leave himself at a rest stop, I am trying to find lots of things that keep the kiddos busy... hense The Quiet Book!!

I stumbled upon this project several months ago.  There are several craft blogs out there that have made them.  You might have even seen the button on the right that links to the blog http://www.quietbook.blogspot.com/ this has been my main resource for ideas.  My other favorites have been:

Now that I have my machine, the count down begins.  My goal: to get as many pages completed before we leave.  So far: 2.

I bought muslin, I went ahead and bought the white (bleached) kind.  I prefer to have the white background.


I bought a rotary cutter.  This baby is fun to use...

Just make sure you know where your mat ends and your table begins (opps).


I love the alphabet pages, so my first task was to create one of those.
I got iron on letters, and ironed them onto felt.  I attached velcro to the back of each letter.  (Tedious, but easy)

I wanted to make this page have a learning curve, so I traced the alphabet letters on the page itself.  This would allow them to see the correct order as they plug it in.



Here is the completed page(s).  It has a pocket with a zipper to store the letters.  (the 'g' is missing because they didn't have the one I needed)

I can't wait for them to see it :-)

I also made a shoe tying page.  (Remember not to look too closely at the sewing - I'm a beginner, remember!!)

I found this really neat tool to attach snaps and grommets.  I used the grommet thingy to attach grommets for the shoe strings.


Not bad for a beginner, right?  Okay, I know it isn't great, but the boys won't know the difference.


Here they are laced up.  My laces are a little long, so I have to find shorter laces, but other than that - this page is done!!

2 comments:

Stacey said...

You rock Leslie! What a super mom you are! Your sewing is awesome for a beginner. They will love it! Can't wait to see the rest! Are you making two?

Anonymous said...

I made one of these books for Marty way back when. You are doing a great job. I am really impressed. keep on sewing. It was my relaxing thing to do when the kids were growing up. But I used to make all my clothes and I sewed for Marcy and I even sewed some for the boys when they were little. It is just as cheap now to watch for clothes on sale so I don't sew like I use to.

"How Preemie Moms Are Chosen" by Erma Bombeck

Did you ever wonder how the mothers of premature babies are chosen?
Somehow, I visualize God hovering Earth, selecting his instruments for propagation with great care and deliberation. As he observes, he instructs his angels to take notes in a giant ledger. "Armstrong, Beth, son. Patron Saint...give her Gerard. He's used to profanity." Finally, he passes a name to an angel and smiles.
"Give her a preemie."
The angel is curious. "Why this one God? She's so happy."
"Exactly," smiles God. "Could I give a premature baby a mother who knows no laughter? That would be cruel."
"But does she have the patience?" asks the angel.
"I don't want her to have too much patience, or she'll drown in a sea of self-pity and despair. Once the shock and resentment wear off, she'll handle it. I watched her today. She has that sense of self and independence so rare and so necessary in a mother. You see, the child I am going to give her has a world of it's own. She has to make it live in her world, and that's not going to be easy."
God smiles. "This one is perfect. She has just the right amount of selfishness. "
The angel gasps, "Selfishness! Is that a virtue?"
God nods. "If she can't separate herself from the child occasionally, she will never survive. Yes, here is a woman whom I will bless with a child less than perfect. She doesn't know it yet, but she is to be envied. She will never take for granted a spoken word. She will never consider a step ordinary. When her child says momma for the first time, she will be witness to a miracle and know it. I will permit her to see cleary the things that I see - ignorance, cruelty, prejudice - and allow her to rise above them. She will never be alone. I will be at her side every minute of every day of her life because she is doing my work as surely as she is here by my side."
"But what about her Patron Saint?" asks the angel, his pen poised in the air.
God smiles.
"A mirror will suffice."

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails