Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Beaumont - 1st Leg of the Trip Continued

My father was the 13th child in his family.  Imagine having 12 brothers and sisters.  My father was also born in 1931 on a farm in rural Brownwood, Texas.  One of my favorite things to do as a child was to hear stories that he would tell me.

With 13 children, I have lots of cousins... many I have never met.  The year before my father died, they had a big reunion - I was 13 years old.  I was able to meet some of my relatives and one of them was my cousin, Edith.  She has a daughter close to my age and I went to stay with them for a week one summer. 

I have kept up with her some of the years and when she found out about our trip, she invited us down to pick blueberries off her blueberry farm.

The boys love blueberries, so we added this leg of the race to include Beaumont.

Cousin Edith made the boys blueberry muffins and let them ice their own muffins.
Yep, I think they enjoyed it!

Here is Hagen telling Cousin Edith all about swimming.  (She has a pool and we just went for a swim.)  Okay, girls - my cousin Edith, hello, she is the American Super Nanny.  Seriously!  She used to own a daycare and her tips are limitless.  I have already diffused two of Hagen's temper tantrums before they became full blown!!  She should write a book.


I didn't get any pictures of them swimming in the pool, but we got these great floaties that I learned about through Suz over at Steece's Pieces.  They are called Puddle Jumpers and they are great.  The boys are able to hold themselves up in the water without us helping them.  The first night they were trying to get used to them, but by the second night they loved swimming in them! 
On the second day, we got to tour where they process all their blueberries.  They just shut down for the season, but it was still neat to see the process. 
Hagen and Mason didn't get much further than the four wheeler.


Funny enough, I have eaten my cousin's blueberries before and didn't know it!  Below is their brand (they, along with a few other growers in their area).  They ship to north Texas, so it is popular in our area.

Wayne, Edith's husband showed us the operations (we would love to come back next year and see it during the production).


While we learned about how the process worked, the boys were busy.
Look at all those blueberries still on the bushes!!
We didn't get any pictures of the boys picking blueberries (Jeremy took them out on the four wheeler and forgot the camera!)  But, you have never tasted a blueberry until you have taken one right off the bush.  I'm just sayin'!
More about Beaumont to come!  What?  More?  Yep, alligators and fire trucks... and don't forget the boots!!!

1 comment:

Cassie said...

We just bought Caleb some "puddle jumpers"! We haven't used them yet. Cute pictures.

"How Preemie Moms Are Chosen" by Erma Bombeck

Did you ever wonder how the mothers of premature babies are chosen?
Somehow, I visualize God hovering Earth, selecting his instruments for propagation with great care and deliberation. As he observes, he instructs his angels to take notes in a giant ledger. "Armstrong, Beth, son. Patron Saint...give her Gerard. He's used to profanity." Finally, he passes a name to an angel and smiles.
"Give her a preemie."
The angel is curious. "Why this one God? She's so happy."
"Exactly," smiles God. "Could I give a premature baby a mother who knows no laughter? That would be cruel."
"But does she have the patience?" asks the angel.
"I don't want her to have too much patience, or she'll drown in a sea of self-pity and despair. Once the shock and resentment wear off, she'll handle it. I watched her today. She has that sense of self and independence so rare and so necessary in a mother. You see, the child I am going to give her has a world of it's own. She has to make it live in her world, and that's not going to be easy."
God smiles. "This one is perfect. She has just the right amount of selfishness. "
The angel gasps, "Selfishness! Is that a virtue?"
God nods. "If she can't separate herself from the child occasionally, she will never survive. Yes, here is a woman whom I will bless with a child less than perfect. She doesn't know it yet, but she is to be envied. She will never take for granted a spoken word. She will never consider a step ordinary. When her child says momma for the first time, she will be witness to a miracle and know it. I will permit her to see cleary the things that I see - ignorance, cruelty, prejudice - and allow her to rise above them. She will never be alone. I will be at her side every minute of every day of her life because she is doing my work as surely as she is here by my side."
"But what about her Patron Saint?" asks the angel, his pen poised in the air.
God smiles.
"A mirror will suffice."

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails